A big thanks to Ernie from the excellent "Ernie (Not Bert)" blog for letting us share this rip. He has some other Frankie Ortega albums on THIS page. This is a rare LP from 1959 featuring some cool and jazzy compositions. As usual with albums of this era it has a great cover and is full of moody crime jazz. Read Ernie's intro in the comments. Over and Out!
JUBILEE RECORDS
SDJLP 1106
STEREO
1959






6 comments:
Update:
Since posting this I have found out that this rip originally came from the excellent "Ernie (Not Bert)" blog.
Ernie said...
"Sometimes the things I find in my record collection surprise even me. I remember buying this record, but I had forgotten it until I found it again a couple of days ago while looking for something to listen to. At the time I bought it, I thought it was just a rip-off LP, capitalizing on the popularity of the TV show, since all of the tracks besides the title song were written by either Frankie Ortega or Sy Oliver. Well, turns out I was wrong. Way wrong. Frankie Ortega and his trio were the house band at Dino's, the hangout for the folks on 77 Sunset Strip (and apparently owned in real life by Dean Martin). Check it out, Frankie is actually listed on the IMDB because of it. So I was glad that I picked up this LP and played it. It's great, jazzy stuff, played by The Frankie Ortega Trio, with backing from Sy Oliver And His Orchestra. There's some really swingin' stuff here, some smooth stuff, too. Even one track that sounds to my ears like Fever, but claims to be an original. So if you're into late 50's sound, this record may well knock your socks off. Oh, and it's in stereo! So here, go get The Frankie Ortega Trio With Sy Oliver And His Orchestra-77 Sunset Strip And Other Selections (Jubilee SDJLP 1106, 1959). Dig it!"
Ernie if you're reading this I've left you a message regarding this. If you don't want it shared here then please just say and I'll remove it straight away.
Thanks
Well, I suppose... I'm sure I've downloaded enough records from you that I can share the one. Maybe you could put up a linky-link to my page somewhere? I've got a couple more Frankie Ortega records shared out as well. I'd point you towards them, but they aren't as good as this one.
Thanks Ernie,
I'll change my post to make it clear it came from you.
Wow - I was on a record hunt yesterday and actually had a copy of this LP in my hands...and passed on it!
Now ain't life strange?
Thanks to Ernie for the share!
-LT
What's this!
LT passing up some Crime Jazz!....must be all that booze, it's affecting your judgment :)
I bet some other vinylhound has snagged it now :(
The only reason I passed was due to price - though the booze came later!
Got some winners of which you'll no doubt be seeing! :D
Crime Lounge On,
LT
Post a Comment