CLICK TO ENTER

CLICK TO ENTER

THE BOND COLLECTION

This year (2008) marks the 50th anniversary of Stereo and the 60th anniversary of Vinyl Long Playing Microgroove Records
I'm sure that many sites will dedicate much more space, time and knowledge than I can on the subject but I just wanted to mention it for those who weren't aware.

A few milestones:
Many people and countries contributed to the long history and invention of music on disc, for space sake we start our little list at the true birth of "modern" vinyl.

1940
Production of records halted by the advent of World War II and the lack of shellac due to the invasion of South East Asia by the Japanese.The replacement of the base material was discovered from a plastic resin derivative of petroleum called vinyl

1943
The first V-Discs were shipped from the RCA Victor pressing plant in Camden, New Jersey

1946
RCA Victor releases the very first commercial vinylite record

1948
Columbia introduces the first 12-inch 33-1/3 rpm microgroove LP vinylite record with 23-minute play-time per side it also has a special turntable to play them on made by Philco

1949
RCA Victor introduce the 7-inch 45 rpm micro-groove vinyl single and compatible turn table.

1950
The improvements in sound quality of the new vinyl format encourage record companies to embrace the technology, this marks the beginning of the end for the 78rpm shellac disc and RCA Victor issues records on Columbia 12 inch LP format.

1951
First Jukebox able to play 7 inch 45 rpm records

1954
Record companies deliver 7 inch 45 rpm record singles to radio stations instead of 78s

1957
The Recording Industry Association of America chooses the Westrex standard for stereo records. Stereo vinyl is to became the dominant medium of recorded music

1958
RCA introduces its first stereo LPs
This is the birth of the modern stereophonic microgroove long-playing record as we know it today.

The vinyl record has had somewhat of a revival in recent years, thanks in part to dj's it must be said, without whom they would probably have died out long ago (amongst the average user at least) but because of the dj crowd manufactureres have continued to produce turntables and even start to re-release albums on vinyl yet again.
Obviously the dj isn't the only reason for this, many people have re-ignited their passion for vinyl after years of collecting "invisible" music as mp3's, which great as they are, don't actually exist in the true sense of the word. These files are stored as millions of 0's and 1's on our hard drives and could all disappear over night (how reliable is your HDD?).

Another thing to look into is the life-span of the various media, digital music (mp3's etc) are OK as long as you continue to back them up (hopefully not having any data errors!).
CD's are good for decades, so the experts say but having had experience with laser rot on Laserdiscs I'm not so sure. Compact discs are pressed much like vinyl records, then to make them reflective they are coated with an Aluminium layer, this is then covered in plastic to protect it. the trouble is if the Aluminium layer ever gets exposed to the air it oxidies and corrupts the data (I have a couple of early discs which look very brownish and stained). Then you have the ink used to print on the disc eating into it!
Vinyl records are quite a simple beast and this is the very thing that makes them the most stable and long-life format to collect on.

With vinyl of course, they actually contain the music on the disc (as opposed to a data representation of it) and even the label is melted into the plastic during pressing, so no nasty glues to come unstuck, so they start out ahead in terms of longevity. They are also composed from a single piece/layer of plastic, whereas a CD is multiple layers of different material stuck/bonded together, which is never a great idea to start with.
All things being equal, a vinyl record should last for hundreds (maybe thousands) of years before the natural decomposition occurs. CD's on the other hand, having different material mixed together will start to internally corrupt after so long (how long, know one knows yet!)

As with many things in life we discover that the simple way of doing things really is the best (and most reliable).

I won't go into the relative merits of each formats sound quality, suffice it to say we all have our own preferances.
I hope this little article has been interesting and if anyone wants to add to (or correct) anything, please leave a comment. Tell everyone about your own collecting experiences.

I wonder if we will still be listening to CD's and mp3's in 50-60 years time?

14 comments:

Graham the Funky Aardvark said...

I suspect vinyl will never die

DJ's love it :)

And the collector's market screams for it

CD's? They will go... the "next big thing" will replace that

MP3's? Well, great for now... but as soon as it gets cheap enough to carry 1TB of data, lossless files would be my choice

I think this... you tell me it costs £9.99 for a CD, and £9.99 for the downloaded album... I buy the CD and rip at my own datarate

You tell me that I can get the 192K mp3 files for £3.99 and lossless for £6.99, and that I can copy and burn them to whatever media I choose.... I start to get intrested in the downloads (More so, if you say "Oh, the £3.99 you paid for the mp3's... deduct that from the £6.99 for the lossless", then... there is no double dipping!)

You put DRM on it... what is the point?

I can remember when mp3's started.... and I have had mp3 players since I could... (Not iPod though.... :) me not into apple)

Who knows what is next.... but.... if they get the prices right.. it will be good!

Luis said...

2008 marks the anniversary of another two milestones:

130 years (patent of the phonograph)

120 years (gramophone)

THXjay said...

@Graham,

Yep, totally agree with you on that one, why anyone would pay for a digital download when they could just buy the proper CD and rip it themselves (thereby having both) is beyond me.

@Luis,

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of those other two "birthday's"

Lemoncat,, said...

very interesting jay, there will never be any substitute for good old vinyl records..i try to stay well clear of cds and the like, yuk.. they make me feel physically ill :)

THXjay said...

@Lemoncat,

I can just imagine you in your vinyl lined room sitting in your leather recliner, wearing a velvet smoking jacket listening to your glowing valve amp pumping out some easy/lounge tunes through a pair of massive walnut woofers :)

(or is that just me)

Cheers, you old vinyl merchant ;)

Progrocktv said...

Oh, listen to all you "early adopters". This Vinyl thing will never fly, and don't get me started on this Hi-Fi stereo thingy either!!! Who wants to hear 2 different things in each speaker?!?! Yes, give me an Edison cylinder any day! You'll see, 60 years from now no one will know what these LP things are and we'll still be listening to our Edison Gramophones and laughing!

--Sent from my GoodLink synchronized handheld rock slate and chisel via time access portal 112-B, February 11, 1948--

Anonymous said...

Great salute to the Licorice Pizza. Long live vinyl! Now if that darn turntable would work...grrrrr! LP

THXjay said...

By a strange coincidence, with me talking about how long various formats will last......

I have just been playing a couple of CD's (ready to rip) and looking at one (Vampyros Lesbos Soundtrack) it has completely "rotted"! looking at the silver playing side it is littered with holes which you can see through when put up to the light, they are very visible as black dots (quite large) all over the surface. Upon firther investigation, it seems that the printed label side of the disc (in three colours)has eaten through where black ink has been used, rendering a dotted pattern on the reverse side of the disc matching exactly where the black print is. Holding it up to a light confirms this!

So this has left me with a fancy shiny coffee coaster!

I hope this is a one-off, but as I've said before I also have a few discs which show signs of oxidising, having a "burnt/stained" look about them. Having spent a lot of money on CD's over the years I hate to think what will happen to my collection in time.

I now have to find an mp3 of this album and burn that to disc (I'm not buying it again) thereby having an inferior copy to the one I paid good money for......and they wonder why so many folks are not buying CD's and just downloading music from online!!

VINYL IT IS THEN :)

Anonymous said...

of course, each new change in technology brings its own inbuilt obsolence(sp), which means the tech comapanies and record companies get to sell the same content over and over again. Vinyl was a mistake, it lasted and sounded terrific, so the powers that be have been trying to rectify their mistake ever since:-)
Cheers
Torontomush

Oh by the way great article.

LoungeTracks said...

Happy B-day Vinyl! How I love your largeness and adaptability in these turbulent times.

I'll be showcasing some soon Jay in my brand new spot. I'll be in touch.
-LT
PS. I need to check my Vampyros cd - I played the heck outta that in the 90's - eme if you need me to rip it for you.

THXjay said...

Here is a site with some interesting info

HERE

Progrocktv said...

Alright here's a funny one. Man, those were the days!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZutcPUd_AVQ

THXjay said...

Great clip!

I've been scouring youtube recently looking for vids showing peoples vinyl collections (I know, I'm sad), found a few good ones.

If anyone comes across anything interesting, let us know.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Love vinyl records also, but unless care is with cueing, a very stable cabinet plus turntable plus stylus, clicks, pops, and other general noise. But in the seventies using European lps,their vinyl was better. I converted everything to reel-to-reel at 7.5 ips or even 15 ips. This even retained the warmth of the vinyl media music. DAT can partially accomplish this also. Ditto with high quality cassettes.
CD, mp3, etc. do not convey the warmth of the music within the lp.
And Quadraphonic with Quad headphones, all discrete of course.
You can use a compander on a cd equivalent, but the sound is mulled.
CDs and mp3 you hear the 'sound of silence' within the music. Music then has a flat-sounding texture.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Widget By Devils Workshop