One of my favourite funky action scores of the 70's here with David Shire's incredible The Taking of Pelham 123. A great film starring Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw. This score is a must have and never lets up with every track a killer. Take a ride.........
DAVID SHIRE : THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123
RETROGRADE
FSM80123
STEREO
1974






10 comments:
Yeah, that is a really good score. I was hooked as soon as I started watching the film the first time.
Me too! I had only seen the film in a theater in 1974, and I never forgot the opening score. At the time of reissue (this one you're hosting) it was revealed that the theme, maybe even the score, was written in 12-tone rows, which is an incredible feat of discipline considering the power of the music.
I has seen the film subsequently - probably on TV, where it had been cut to pieces. In particular, one whole sequence was gutted in which the Mayor's aide goes over what various ethnic groups of the city would likely think if he simply let the train crash. Hysterical!
Yep, I believe this was the influence on Tarantino to call his characters by colours in Reservoir Dogs.
And as for political correctness, well cutting films is a crime as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks
Great book, great movie. I didn't know there was a soundtrack until now. Now. I have all three. Thanks!
I didn't know there was a book, now you can read along with the groovy soundtrack :)
Jay,
It was a book first, then the movie. If you're interested, here's where I get most of my books:
http://www.betterworld.com/product1.aspx?product_id=5179866&pp=1&SearchId=4960002
(you have to do the double clicking thing to get the whole lionk. Thanks again for posting the OST!
Gary (or should I say Illya?)
Knockout movie, great score! Thanks for taking the time on this one.
Got to thank you for this. I've had a couple of tracks from this for sometime, but it's good to have the entire soundrack. Good work.
Amazing! Tremendous! Unbelievably good!
You've made my day.
I urge anyone who hasn't heard this to get it!!
Don't think I can tire of this one.
Phenomenal.
Post a Comment